OVCWA Members: 

	The following regarding the Beardslee Telegraph at Chickamauga.
 	Bear in mind the terminology "Field Telegraph." Note the clear distinction
 	in this passage taken from The Signal Corps in the War of the Rebellion by
 	J. Willard Brown, page 480 pertaining to the Department of the Cumberland.

	" The field telegraph was used to connect the stations at Bob White's and Crown Point.
	Department headquarters were connected with each of the corps headquarters, 
	the Morse instrument being used for several days. A little later the field telegraph 
	instruments were put in, connecting Gen. Rosecrans's and Gen Thomas's headquarters.
 	The line running to the headquarters of the 20th and 21st Corps, which on the 9th inst.
 	(September 9th. my note) had been consolidated and formed with the 4th Corps, was taken up 
	as there was no further use for it."

	In short, the field telegraph or "Beardslee Telegraph" was in use prior to the 9th of September, 1863.
 	We know it was in the Army of the Cumberland since prior to Stones River.
	 Note the Distinction between the Morse instruments and the field telegraph.
 	Any references in the OR's of that time to field telegraph ARE the Beardslees.
 	Subtle point not known by many.

	Further note:

	The battle of Chickamauga was the 19th. The telegraph lines had the Morse instruments removed 
	a few days after the 9th. The following circular was sent by Major Myer on the 18th:

	"The attempt seems to be making simultaneously in the different departments to take the signal 
	telegraph lines (as Myer called the field telegraph--my note), and in some instances the wire and 
	instruments, from the control of the proper officers of the Signal Corps, for the purpose of 
	throwing the management into the hands of the American Telegraph Company."

	Plum (who was later arrested for "leaking" information on the telegraph while the investment of 
	Atlanta was being developed) in his book "The Military Telegraph" states on page 67, voice of John C. VanDuzer:

	"On the 17th of September, Department head-quarters being near Crawfish Springs, I received an order from 
	General Rosecrans to connect him by telegraph with Chattanooga, which order I obeyed, completing the line 
	after the opening of the action on the morning of the nineteenth. Offices were opened at General Granger's 
	head-quarters at Rossville; at a point in the rear of Thomas' head-quarters and at Department Headquarters, 
	which latter office was moved at about noon to the house owned by Mrs. Glenn, to which point General Rosecrans 
	had removed his headquarters, where it was maintained during the day and until six o'clock A.M. , of the twentieth. 
	From six until nine, A.M., of the twentieth, the office nearest the front was the one in the Dry Valley, in 
	General Thomas' rear, and Department Head-quarters was only reopened for a few minutes before the driving in 
	of the right of the line forced us back upon the road to Rossville, and no success attended my efforts to 
	reopen farther to the front than the Dry Valley office before mentioned..."

	First, it must be noted that  John C. VanDuzer had, on the 12th of September, applied at the behest of the 
	Signal Corps, for a Commission as a Signal Officer in the Department of the Cumberland, bringing with him 
	all thirty-five telegraph operators and 65 repairers and laborers on the condition that they would not take 
	a pay cut. In short, VanDuzer and the members of the United States Military Telegraph had chosen to throw in 
	with the Signal Corps just prior to the battle of Chickamauga. (This from Correspondence Kellogg to Stanton, 
	Dec 21, 1863, VanDuzer's application for the signal Corps is currently stored in the LOC, Signal Corps register: 
	REG. LR, XI (1863), V-7, RG 111)

	He also relinquished all but one line and the long line to Chattanooga to the Signal Corps and the field 

	The American Telegraph Company had just lost their man in the Department of the Cumberland in all but fact. 
	They acted to suppress the role of the Signal Corps in the battle of Chickamauga. This following the great 
	success at Gettysburg where the field telegraph was on the field of battle while the Morse telegraph arrived 
	(except for the woman at the Gettysburg office!) a day after the battle.

	Note that VanDuzer makes no claim of the use of Morse instruments to the Corps. His only claim is that they 
	opened the line to Chattanooga, connected it at General Granger's head-quarters at Rossville. Extended the 
	line to Thomas' head-quarters, then for a short time maintained a connection to Rosecrans' head-quarters. 
	This was the strategic line to Chattanooga. Not the lines run on the battlefield to Corps. 

	In short, the Beardslee and NOT the Morse instruments were the electrical communications on the battlefield 
	of Chickamauga. The Morse instruments were there. They were in communication with Chattanooga. The rest was 
	the Beardslee.

	VanDuzer was, once the Beardslee was transferred to the USMT, made a Colonel.

Beardslee Flying Telegraph

Signal Corps

U.S. Military Telegraph

Represenative Event Reviews

A Bock&Wall Internet Marketing LLC sponsored site